Sunday, July 17, 2011

Soak Yourself to Silky Skin

In the rush and frustration of modern daily life, its nice to skip the shower once in a while and instead indulge yourself with a long, luxurious bath to relax and forget about all the hassles of the day.

Recently, I suffered several nights of insomnia (NOT fun!) and took baths to help me relax so that I could fall asleep (it still didn't work, but the baths were fantastic). One night, I decided to make my bath extra special, so I raided my bath cabinet and came up with a great basic mixture to stick in the tub. I poured in my ingredients, stirred them around, planted myself in, and read a few chapters. When I finally dragged myself out, I realized something: my skin felt fantastic!

Ok, Ok, so my skin was silky and moisturized, so what? Well, for someone who suffers from chronic skin dryness (no that's not an actual medical term, I just made it up.. I think.. but it really is the most accurate description I can give) its like a gift from heaven. I can lotion up every day and my skin is still dry and even chaps in the winter, which sucks BIG TIME! So, when my skin was still soft and moisturized DAYS after my special bath, I, of course, did it again! Its been over a week since my second bath and my skin still feels awesome (besides the excessive sunburn I received  yesterday, apparently 2 coatings of sunscreen and pure will doesn't stop UV rays).

Anyway, my concoction is pretty simple and probably nothing groundbreaking, but I figured I'd share anyway for all the ladies (and gents too!) who are looking for a good skin moisturizer.

You will need: vitamin E oil (not pills or cream), epsom salts, baking soda, and essential oils of your choice (optional). You can find these ingredients at your local health food/supplement store or even at your local Walmart pharmacy (except for essential oils, which they should be able to order for you).


First, begin running your bath. I like to add my ingredients under the faucet so they get spread throughout the bath water. Then, add 1/4 cup of epsom salts, about 3 teaspoons of vitamin E oil, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and 3-5 drops of essential oil. I like to use lavender as my essential oil for its relaxing aroma, but you can make your own concoction based on your needs. Before using essential oils, however, you should research them because some can be harmful if not used correctly and others can cause allergic reactions. However, if used correctly, they are great for a number of holistic treatments for stress, pain, and more! If using this mixture for children, if you are pregnant, or have extremely sensitive skin, I don't recommend using essential oils in your bath.

SO, now that you have a basic road map, I invite you to sit back, relax, soak, and explore making your own bath creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment