Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Get Funky with the Citrus

After living almost three years in (small town), Oklahoma, I decided to try out a local restaurant located downtown on Main Street (it really is the "main" street) appropriately called the Downtown Diner. I had heard good things, especially about their desserts, so I managed to coax my fiance from our usual Chinese eatery and into the small restaurant decorated with simple tile mosaics and photos of old cars reminiscent of the 1950s. The food was decent (the fries were a bit too greasy for my liking), the desert was pretty good (you really can't go wrong with ice cream, brownies, and fudge topping), but there was something that totally blew me away.

Three words: Awesome Sweet Tea.

I'm not exaggerating. It was probably the best glass of sweet tea to ever grace my taste buds. I was so impressed, I even took a picture (as you can see).

You see, there was something unique about this tea. Usually, my sweet tea comes with a lemon slice that I am quick to fish out of my glass, fold in a napkin, and forget its existence before it further taints the wholesome goodness of sweet tea. This glass however, came with two treasures: a slice of lime and a slice of orange.I have no idea if this is done in other places, but this is the first time I've experienced it anywhere, and I've lived all over the U.S.  Lime I sort of get, but orange? Really? I was ready to do my normal fishing routine (I can never remember to ask the waitress to leave out the citrus) but decided to try this odd commodity out of pure curiosity. My conclusion? Whoever came up with this combination is a fricken genius. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment