Friday, July 22, 2011

Adventures in OKC: Museum of Osteology

What is a Museum of Osteology, you may ask? Why, its a bone museum of course!

Adam and I decided to have a Saturday adventure to Oklahoma City. I'd read about the Museum of Osteology online and learned that it was the only bone museum in the U.S.A.! (or so they claim...)

Anyway, I have to say it was awesome! It was a bit smaller than I expected, but it was packed full of all kinds of creatures from all over the world. The display even exhibited modern and ancient human bones and it was really interesting to find that many animals have the same basic bone structure while on the outside they look totally different! Luckily, I got to snap a few pictures before my phone died. :-(

An Elephant Skull. They had a couple of these AND a full elephant (which you can kind of see in the background of this pic). I wonder how they got so many elephant bones?

Can you guess what this is? (stop looking at the nameplate cheater!)

Yes, this IS a calf with two faces. Yes, it IS real. O.o


This exhibit was my personal favorite. The giant thing that looks like it has a beak is actually a humpback whale. Apparently the only way we're getting a whale in Oklahoma is if it's dead... Below you can see the skeleton of a hippopotamus (left) and a rhinoceros (right).
Pretty cool stuff huh? If you are in or plan on visiting Oklahoma City and want to check this out yourself, you can find their website here.

Is there a unique museum where you live? Tell us about your adventures in your city!

No comments:

Post a Comment